Photron was founded in 1974 to provide manufacturing, sales and service of professional film and video equipment and photo- instrumentation. Since then, Photron has been offering photo optics and electronic technologies to manufacturing industries, the medical field, film laboratories, major movie and television studios, as well as to the military worldwide. The company name “PHOTRON” combines photon and electron, the basic elements that represent our state-of-the-art technologies.
After gaining experience with image processing systems, Photron branched into the development of high-speed motion analysis cameras. Some highlights of our product launches are:
- In 1991 the Model 4540 was launched as the world’s fastest commercial high-speed video system, operating at up to 40,500 frames per second (fps). The 4540 is now marketed under the name of the ultima SE.
- A year later, 1992, the MotionCorder family of cameras is launched, including the FASTCAM Super 10k, which becomes a major best-selling high-speed video system.
- In 2000 Photron lead the move from CCD to CMOS technology with two revolutionary megapixel products; the PC based FASTCAM-X 1280 PCI – the first mega-pixel CMOS camera system for the PC, and the remote head stand alone ultima 1024.
- Our high speed video line continues to grow through the addition of the high-G CMOS mega-pixel ultima APX and light weight ultima 512, as well as the computer based FASTCAM-X 512 PCI, all of which have redefined light sensitivity achievable from CMOS cameras.
- The FocusScope signifies Photron’s commitment to using it’s high-speed abilities for different applications with a 1,000 fps high speed camera being used to produce thirty frames per second of drastically improved depth of focus from a conventionally mounted microscope camera.
- The 2004 launch of the ultima APX-RS proved a huge success with military test ranges worldwide, a market we have continued to serve with innovative high speed imaging solutions ever since, most recently with the FASTCAM Multi’s remote head system.
- Photron et the growing demand for high resolution (HD) systems by providing 1080 (1,920 wide by 1,0280 pixels tall) to 2,000 fps and compact 720 HD systems giving 1,280 by 720 pixel resolution to over 6,000 fps.
- 2013 saw the launch of the hugely popular FASTCAM Mini series, providing 1.3 megapixel resolution to 4,000 fps, 720 high definition (HD) to over 6,000 fps and all from a compact, high-G stand alone system.
- Today the FASTCAM SA-Z provides mega pixel resolution to over 20,000 fps with reduced resolution to over two million fps and will impressive ISO 25,000 light sensitivity.
Photron’s varied product range makes it the first choice for designers, manufacturers, R&D and test engineers to solve their most challenging motion problems. Whether it’s testing a new product design or piece of equipment or trouble-shooting a high-speed production line, Photron’s digital camera systems can capture thousands of high resolution images for playback and analysis. And with Photron Motion Tools software, users can automatically track the motion of any point within a recorded sequence.Photron’s continuing development of new state-of-the-art products shows our commitment to furthering research and development in the areas of digital imaging and motion analysis solutions.
Photron also designs and develops software for the motion-picture, television and professional photography industries under the Primatte brand. Photron introduced Primatte in the mid-90s. In the ensuing 17 years since its introduction, Primatte has gone from being available as plug-in for one host product to nearly 20 versions on three platforms, a testament to its powerful and versatile ability to create seamless and realistic chromakey compositing effects. Recent enhancement so the Primatte technology include GPU acceleration which allows real-time processing at HD resolutions. You can learn more about thiis innovative technology at www.primatte.com/.
* Please Contact Us for Photron office addresses.